Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Literary T-Bag


More than enough has already been said about the completely ludicrous and hilarious Republican "teabag" rallies across the country today, but I really have to hand it to this guy, who went to a great deal of effort so that he could stand outside in the rain and make obscure Ayn Rand references. I'm trying to understand the mindset here. Presumably Republican, he's on board with all of the Republican teabaggery, which is ostensibly a protest against what some see as the Obama administration's unfair changes in the tax code. But that's not all. This guy also appears to believe that there's something in these policies that remind him of Ayn Rand's legendarily long 1957 novel "Atlas Shrugged." So he proceeds to make signs which reflect these beliefs, don his wet weather gear and head down to teabag central. There's only one problem. I haven't read "Atlas Shrugged", and didn't know who John Galt was until I looked it up. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Therefore, in order for this gentleman's point to hit home, I would have to read "Atlas Shrugged", forge my own opinon about the influence of this book upon the Obama administration, agree that such influence is an egregious affront to any decent human being's fiduciary principles, then presumably run screaming in terror to my nearest Republican National Committee office to join up with the good guys. Not that our sign waving friend would know about any of this, because he's already been to a whole box of teabag protests by the time I slog my way through "Atlas Shrugged." I mean, not much real chance of him seeing any benefits his literary sign waving might bring. Of course, maybe his real goal was just to get his picture on the internet, in which case, mission accomplished. Photo "borrowed" from Wonkette.

No comments: