Monday, June 28, 2010

100th Post: Werner and Whit

To mark the auspicious occasion of my 100th post to this blog, let the record reflect that over the course of June 18th-21st 2010, I met both Werner Herzog and Whit Stillman. I watched Cane Toads: The Conquest: In 3D while sitting next to Herzog. He told me that the New Jersey edition of his Rogue Film School had been "very extreme." Whit Stillman very graciously granted me an impromptu interview after I spotted him at a screening of Aaron Katz's film "Cold Weather."

For someone who went out on a weeknight to see Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, and who is a member of a yet to be formed Stillman themed band called The Polly Perkins Composite, these encounters were very thrilling indeed.

The all too brief Stillman interview can be found here,and although I wasn't able to conduct a formal interview with Herzog, he did tell me that he'd just finished shooting a 3D film that took place entirely inside a cave. You might think twice if you're contemplating a similar production, as Werner described the experience as "very difficult".

No comments: